FRANK Gallery is Chapel Hill’s premiere art gallery and non-profit arts organization. We serve a diverse population through programs, workshops, exhibitions, and events, including some of your favorites like Rubbish 2 Runway and our Off The Wall celebration. We work with local partners including the Art Therapy Institute, the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Triangle Land Conservancy, the Ackland Art Museum, our local schools and colleges, and many others to do what we do best – educate, enrich, and build a stronger community through the arts.
Our Community Outreach Gallery
We have a dedicated space to display work made by artists involved with our community partners, or produced as part of our many outreach programs, workshops, and events.
- Diversabilities, an exhibit celebrating Autism awareness month; partners include Art Therapy Institute, Autism Society, Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities.
- Wrap Your Head Around It, 200 silks scarves designed by artist Peg Gignoux, and created by volunteers for cancer patients, survivors, and family members in need of support.
- Meet Our Heroes, pop-up books by Durham Academy middle school students with text and illustration depicting their personal heroes.
- Sense of Self, a competition and exhibition of work by local high school students asked to explore their own identity through photography.
FRANK in the Community
Many of our members are serving their community regularly through ongoing programs.
- Karen Youth Art Group, through art mentoring by FRANK artists & community members, the KYAG has learned photography, drawing, painting, and is currently working on a children’s book about their history and traditions as farmers.
- FRANK:in Focus, annual collaborative photo program that brings together the arts organizations in the community to celebrate photography; precursor to the Click! Triangle Photo Festival
- Rubbish 2 Runway, student designed garments from recycled materials, displayed for the public and worn in a judged runway “trashion” show.
- KIDZU Children’s Museum, specially designed children’s programs on various themes led by FRANK Gallery artists including Gordon Jameson, Lew Graham, Nerys Levy and others.
Workshops and Events
Many FRANK artists a natural teachers and mentors, and are using those special skills to promote the arts and education for all who are interested in participating.
- Collaborative Photography Workshops with the Ackland Art Museum & FRANK artists; these have included tours, photo-making programs, technique tutorials, presentations, and forums.
- Screenings of short films and full length documentary features in partnership with the Varsity Theater and corresponding with FRANK’s current exhibition to provide an immersive art experience.
- Book Arts Workshops teaching various binding techniques with local bookmakers.
- Plein Air Drawing Workshops taught by FRANK artists, covering various styles and techniques, at local museums and Triangle Land Conservancy sites.
- Service Learning, through Exceptional Child Program at Carrboro High school, through weekly site visits with a student to provide vocational training and supervised work experience.
FRANK Gallery's Karen Youth Art Group was featured on WUNC's The State of Things, with Frank Stasio on Friday, June 3rd!
Click here to listen to the full interview.
Community Outreach Gallery
2015-2016 Exhibition Calendar
May - June
Karen Youth Art Group
African American Quilters Circle
Kidzu Children's Museum
Volunteers for Youth